Site  HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Welcome to The Way of the Tiger Roleplaying Game

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sir Knight

PostSubject: Welcome to The Way of the Tiger Roleplaying Game   Thu 14 Mar - 18:29

Welcome to the official boards of The Way of the Tiger Roleplaying Game! I'm Richard S. Hetley, the "Community Manager" at Megara Entertainment--put in quotes because we all do a lot of different duties around here. Our noble leader Mikaël Louys (posting as Ninievre) maintains a Facebook page for the project, and I do my best to keep these forums tidy.

To those who are new . . .

"On the magical world of Orb, alone in a sea that the people of the Manmarch call Endless, lies the mystical Island of Tranquil Dreams." Thus begins Avenger!, the first book in The Way of the Tiger, by Mark Smith and Jamie Thomson. First published in 1985, this series of gamebooks introduced us to an amazing world where the stealth and skill of the ninja was set against the dangers of a magical realm. Originally, the world of Orb had appeared as a traditional fantasy setting within the classic Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, but for The Way of the Tiger things changed: Mark and Jamie infused Orb with what are now iconic oriental themes, and gave gamers a complex and intense martial arts system practically unknown in the genre.

Today, with the blessings of Mark and Jamie, The Way of the Tiger is being revisited to be turned faithfully into a roleplaying game experience. You can see our progress here and on Facebook, and participate in the open beta as we bring it to fruition. We hope you'll find it as intense as the original gamebooks, but as personal as any tabletop RPG played with friends.

It's going to be quite a trip! And with that, I'll leave you with the back cover text from our upcoming release (hopefully slated for next year), as a last taste of what is in the making:

. . .

"Roleplaying in the fantastical realm of Orb . . .

"Walk among the shadows, strike unseen: the martial arts gamebook series "The Way of the Tiger" by Mark Smith and Jamie Thomson becomes a pen-and-paper RPG! The Way of the Tiger RPG brings intense action in a world of strange fantasy, where ninja dwell in the darkness and sorcerers unleash powers beyond comprehension. Match your skill and cunning against brutal villains, strange beasts, and the followers of dark gods . . .

"Become a ninja of the Way of the Tiger and seek vengeance on Yaemon, Grandmaster of Flame.
"Become a samurai of Eo or errant knight of Rocheval and wage war on the scorpion sons of Nil, Mouth of the Void.
"Become an elven enchantress of Tanajla and use mind-bending powers against the Order of the Scarlet Mantis.
"Become a templar of Time or scholar of Fate and manipulate your own destiny!

"From the Sea of Snows to the Desert of the Forsaken . . . from the Island of Tranquil Dreams to the Mountains of Undying Solitude . . . the realm of Orb awaits!"

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to The Way of the Tiger Roleplaying Game   Sun 23 Aug - 3:58

so did this RPG ever see the light of day?
Back to top Go down
Sir Knight

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to The Way of the Tiger Roleplaying Game   Sun 23 Aug - 4:12

Hello,

It so happens that it's "seeing the light of day" after years of effort! It has been renamed to the more all-encompassing title Orb: The Roleplaying Game, and the first edition is now in the layout stage. We've made no official announcements, but it is coming! Thank you so much for your interest.

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to The Way of the Tiger Roleplaying Game   Sun 23 Aug - 4:19

Ok, excellent. I am a Game Master and very much keen on running it. Is this forum the best place to keep up to date with its progress?
Back to top Go down
Sir Knight

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to The Way of the Tiger Roleplaying Game   Sun 23 Aug - 4:28

Let's see, let's see . . .

As you can tell, these forums are maintained mostly so we can be sure folks can reach us. Often, Megara's head honcho Mikaël Louys makes announcements on Facebook, and these would probably go on the combined page for the gamebooks and the RPG:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/370105323051113

You'll observe we're also finishing work on our gamebooks project over there, and involving ourselves in various Kickstarters, so those'll be our most recent news.

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to The Way of the Tiger Roleplaying Game   Sun 23 Aug - 4:35

Excellent. Thanks
Back to top Go down
AsenRG

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to The Way of the Tiger Roleplaying Game   Thu 3 Nov - 1:49

Sir Knight wrote:
Hello,

It so happens that it's "seeing the light of day" after years of effort!  It has been renamed to the more all-encompassing title Orb: The Roleplaying Game, and the first edition is now in the layout stage.  We've made no official announcements, but it is coming!  Thank you so much for your interest.

Can you give us an estimate what are the odds of it becoming available this year Smile ?
Back to top Go down
Sir Knight

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to The Way of the Tiger Roleplaying Game   Thu 3 Nov - 13:07

AsenRG wrote:

Can you give us an estimate what are the odds of it becoming available this year Smile ?

I would love to! But it's still in progress. Again, Facebook is becoming the central place for news and announcements:

Right now most of the conversation is about the gamebooks, but take a look and ask over there if you can't find what you need.

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to The Way of the Tiger Roleplaying Game   Fri 4 Nov - 14:29

Sir Knight wrote:
AsenRG wrote:

I would love to!  But it's still in progress.  Again, Facebook is becoming the central place for news and announcements:

Right now most of the conversation is about the gamebooks, but take a look and ask over there if you can't find what you need.

Well, I'll take it there's at least some chance it might become available, then Twisted Evil .

I might ask in the group, too. I'm already a member, of course, I just don't like using FB.
And who's going to answer, if not you?

Let's just say I'll be waiting patiently, like a monk of Kwon or Vile during meditation Cool !
Back to top Go down
Sir Knight

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to The Way of the Tiger Roleplaying Game   Fri 4 Nov - 14:55

AsenRG wrote:

I might ask in the group, too. I'm already a member, of course, I just don't like using FB.
And who's going to answer, if not you?

I understand disapproval of using Facebook. I'm surprised that Facebook has become less offensive than certain other social media sites since its inception, but the point remains . . .

Anyway, David Walters and Mikaël Louys would be better able to answer than I. David is the author, and Mikaël manages Megara Entertainment's priorities and release schedule.

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to The Way of the Tiger Roleplaying Game   

Back to top Go down

Welcome to The Way of the Tiger Roleplaying Game
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1